Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Catching Dragonflies with Butterfly Nets

Photo by Brad Sylvester, copyrith 2011. Do not copy.
This is just a quick post to link an article I wrote on another platofrm about How to Catch and Hold a Dragonfly because it's relevant to some of the the things we've been talking about here. I took this picture today just to show you that what I wrote really works. This dragonfly, after being photographed, was released unharmed. In fact, I set it down on an apple tree branch and it stayed there for a couple minutes (where I took some more photos) before flying away.

You can get expensive butterfly nets, but there are many inexpensive nets meant for kids that work just fine. They won't last for years and years, but they are perfectly fine for light use and they cost very little. Most of these can also be used for skimming in ponds as well. The finer the mesh the better for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment