Monday, June 11, 2012

Revisiting Old Friends: Eastern Chipmunk (Tamias striatus)

Eastern chipmunk at burrow entrance
Photo by Brad Sylvester, copyright 2012
For me, one of the best things about learning what lives in my yard, is that I can easily recognize things I couldn't identify before. Another benefit of this effort is that over time I can see the same creatures in different places, seasons and situations and really get to know them in more depth.

This morning, I was sitting on a small footbridge that I built over a stream that leads into the forest in my backyard photographing a new insect for this blog. As I pulled my eye away from the viewfinder after taking some macro shots, I noticed that I was under observation.

Eastern chipmunk (Tamias striatus)
Photo by Brad Sylvester, copyright 2012
A small brown furry head was peaking up from between some rocks about four feet away from me. Of course, anyone in New England can readily identify a chipmunk. Some may know that it is actually called the Eastern chipmunk or that its Latin species name is Tamias striatus. I didn't learn this particular species, or much new information about them when I initially described the Eastern chipmunk in this blog last July.

Those who read that post may remember that the chipmunk lives in underground burrows that measure from 5-10 feet in length with one or more living and storage chambers. Knowing this, when I saw the chipmunk watching me from between two rocks near a stream, I suspected that it was sitting right in one of the entrances to its burrow.

The small hole in the center of the picture
is the entrance to a chipmunk burrow.
Photo by Brad Sylvester, copyright 2012.
After snapping a few pictures of the chipmunk, I saw it turn and disappear into the cleft between the rocks where it had been sitting. As I suspected, this was the front door of its underground home. So I'm able to add a few extra pictures of the Eastern chipmunk and one of its den.

Quick facts about the Eastern chipmunk (Tamias striatus):

Lifespan: Eastern chipmunks live 2-3 years on average in the wild according to National Geographic.

When is it here? Eastern chipmunks live in New Hampshire all year round, but will remain below ground in their burrows during the cold winter months.

Nature's Hoarders

The Eastern chipmunk is a hoarder. It collects food all summer long, carrying it back to its burrow in preparation for the winter. The chipmunk does greatly reduce its activity level during the cold months, but doesn't go into a full hibernation. The food stored in its burrow sustains the chipmunk through the winter.

Tree Climbing

Although the chipmunk lives underground and generally forages on the forest floor, it is a quick and agile climber and will quickly scamper up a tree and sound a warning if threatened while away from its den.

Hand Feeding Chipmunks

Chipmunks are readily acclimated to humans by food offerings, and will take peanuts or similar food from the hand if food is given and gradually moved closer and closer to human presence. This is not recommended because it can lead to reliance on human feeding and selection of foods that have improper nutrition and resistance to spoilage to keep the chipmunk alive through the winter. It can also lead to chipmunks becoming a nuisance as they learn to associate people with food. Not to mention the fact that they can and will bite if startled or threatened and can carry serious diseases.

No comments:

Post a Comment